Republic Services Area Mgr Eng & Env Management in Marietta, Georgia
Republic Services is an industry leader in U.S. recycling and non-hazardous solid waste. Through our subsidiaries, Republic’s collection companies, recycling centers, transfer stations, and landfills focus on providing effective solutions to make proper waste disposal effortless for our 14 million customers. We’ll handle it from here., our brand promise, lets customers know they can count on Republic to provide a superior experience while fostering a sustainable Blue Planet for future generations to enjoy a cleaner, safer and healthier world. Why Work with Us Our Company cannot thrive without great people devoted to serving customers, the community and the planet. We hire the best people to make Republic a great place to work. We are focused on attracting talented individuals across professions who are as committed to serving customers and the planet as we are. We strive to create a workplace that's meaningful and rewarding to our 33,000 employees. That's why we are proud to be recognized as Best Large Employer by Forbes, World’s Most Ethical Companies by Ethisphere, and Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s 2018 Corporate Equality Index.
The Area Engineer and Environmental Manager is responsible for the preparation of the Landfill budget, managing all spending for the Engineering department, and overseeing consultants and contractors during site development. The Area Engineering and Environmental Manager is also responsible for permitting and ensuring the Landfill remains in compliance with all applicable regulations during operation.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
· Attends regulatory and association sponsored informational and policy meetings. · Provides interface between Corporate Engineering department, operating divisions/management, and Environmental Managers. · Acts as the primary contact for technical issues or compliance related questions in the Area. · Hires, trains, and manages the Environmental Managers (EMs) in their responsibilities including: o Cell, closure and site development and other project management (Construction and CQA Contractors); o Management of municipal contract assets where applicable; o Oversight of landfill gas O&M contractors and developers; o Engineering, permitting and compliance (including capacity calculations, permit modifications and expansions, and site surveying); and o Regulatory monitoring and reporting (including groundwater monitoring, air compliance monitoring, a leachate sampling). · Supervises regulatory communication and contact with local, state, and federal regulators. Attends regulatory hearings and meetings, as needed.
• Manages construction projects for Landfill cells and sites, including capacity calculations, scheduling/timeline, management of third-party CQA and contractors, and resource and material coordination.
• Prepares Landfill construction and ongoing operational budgets; maintains financial responsibility for construction/cell development, closure/post-closure, engineering, operations, and cost tracking.
• Coordinates completion of permit applications and designs, including regulatory interface, site expansion, modification or changes to the operating plan application, and other related data.
• Prepares notifications/responses to regulatory inspections and administrative warnings.
• Assists Landfill and Site Managers with development of fill sequencing plans.
• Participate in review of targeted acquisitions, including Phase I assessment/property survey coordination, engineering review of design and operations, and pro-forma modeling assistance.
• Perform ongoing public relations and due diligence activities through communication with corporate office, regulatory agency representatives, third party consultants and investors.
• Complete monthly soil tracking reports and other status reports.
• Regularly supervise Environmental Technicians and Specialists, including responsibility for hiring, training, mentoring, developing, scheduling, directing, managing performance and other related issues; review the work of, and is accountable for the performance of Environmental Technicians and Specialists.
• Attend regulatory and association sponsored informational and policy meetings.
• Ensure continued compliance by coordinating air, water monitoring, environmental data review and reporting.
• Perform other job-related duties as assigned. The statements used herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by an employee in this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required by an incumbent so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the Company.
• Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Geology, Biology or related science. (required) • 4 years of experience in landfill engineering or environmental compliance in air, water, and solid waste. (required) • Certified Professional Engineer and/or Certified Professional Geologist designation.
Rewarding Compensation and Benefits
Eligible employees can elect to participate in:
• Comprehensive medical benefits coverage, dental plans and vision coverage.
• Health care and dependent care spending accounts.
• Short- and long-term disability.
• Life insurance and accidental death & dismemberment insurance.
• Employee and Family Assistance Program (EAP).
• Employee discount programs.
• 401(k) plan with a generous company match.
• Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP).
Republic Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.