Republic Services Area Director Human Resources in Indianapolis, Indiana
Republic Services is an industry leader in U.S. recycling and non-hazardous solid waste. Through our subsidiaries, Republic’s collection companies, recycling centers, transfer stations, and landfills focus on providing effective solutions to make proper waste disposal effortless for our 14 million customers. We’ll handle it from here., our brand promise, lets customers know they can count on Republic to provide a superior experience while fostering a sustainable Blue Planet for future generations to enjoy a cleaner, safer and healthier world. Why Work with Us Our Company cannot thrive without great people devoted to serving customers, the community and the planet. We hire the best people to make Republic a great place to work. We are focused on attracting talented individuals across professions who are as committed to serving customers and the planet as we are. We strive to create a workplace that's meaningful and rewarding to our 33,000 employees. That's why we are proud to be recognized as Best Large Employer by Forbes, World’s Most Ethical Companies by Ethisphere, and Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s 2018 Corporate Equality Index.
About Republic Services: At Republic Services, we’re guided by five essential core values – to be Respectful, Responsible, Reliable, Resourceful, and Relentless in all we do, every day. Our highly passionate, professional team is reminded of these principles every time they see the five R’s joined together to form the Republic Services Star. It’s what makes us who we are, reminding us to keep our customers at the heart of it all. Republic Services, Inc. was incorporated in 1996 with a “can do” spirit, driving its dramatic growth and acquisitions through the years, welcoming other organizations that share its values and fiduciary discipline. Today, Republic Services, Inc. is the second largest provider of services in the domestic non-hazardous solid waste industry, as measured by revenue as well as a Fortune 500 company, publicly traded on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE: RSG). About this role: You have the opportunity to impact 13 million people throughout the United States, while establishing a career in Human Resources that you will love. Imagine leading the Human Resource function for our Northwest Area, a 1-billion-dollar company with over 3,000 employees. You will work directly with the Area President and Area team to create a place where the best people want to come to work. A place with a great working environment for our employees as at Republic Services, we reward hard work and dedication with competitive compensation and excellent benefits. In this role you will lead the development, implementation, and administration of all phases of Human Resources at various divisions and operation units. This includes employee relations; labor relations; diversity & inclusion; performance management; compensation; benefits; talent management, training and organization development and partnering with Talent Acquisition to ensure we are attracting and selecting great talent. As the Area Human Resources Director you will partner with the Area President, General Managers and local managers and functions under the direct supervision of the Area President with dotted line accountability to the Vice President Human Resources. The Area HR Director will be responsible for aligning business objectives with employees and management through the leadership of HR Managers that work in the field at designated business units. The position serves as a consultant to management on human resource-related issues. This role is continually assessing and anticipating HR business and talent needs throughout the area. This role will require 50% travel.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Strong business orientation.
• Offers through leadership regarding organizational and people related strategy and execution.
• Analyzes trends and metrics in partnership with the HR functional team to develop solutions, programs and guidelines.
• Connects with our employees to understand how to engage front-line employees to build organizational capability.
• Demonstrated experience in successfully leading HR for multiple operating locations.
• Knowledge of principles and procedures for recruiting, selection, and training.
• Knowledge of employment law, including FLSA, FMLA, ADA, Title VII, etc.
• Knowledge of National Labor Relations Act and contract negotiations for collective bargaining agreements.
• Experience in handling investigations and employee relations issues.
• Ability to impact and influence without formal authority.
• Knowledge of a Profit and Loss statement and interpretation of financial results. The statements used herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by an employee in this position, and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required by an incumbent so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the Company.
• Bachelor's degree.
• A minimum of 7 years of directly applicable experience as an Human Resources Generalist or Manager involved in all aspects of human resources.
Rewarding Compensation and Benefits
Eligible employees can elect to participate in:
• Comprehensive medical benefits coverage, dental plans and vision coverage.
• Health care and dependent care spending accounts.
• Short- and long-term disability.
• Life insurance and accidental death & dismemberment insurance.
• Employee and Family Assistance Program (EAP).
• Employee discount programs.
• 401(k) plan with a generous company match.
• Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP).
Republic Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.