Republic Services Ops Manager Hauling in Chattanooga, Tennessee
Republic Services is an industry leader in U.S. recycling and non-hazardous solid waste. Through our subsidiaries, Republic’s collection companies, recycling centers, transfer stations, and landfills focus on providing effective solutions to make proper waste disposal effortless for our 14 million customers. We’ll handle it from here., our brand promise, lets customers know they can count on Republic to provide a superior experience while fostering a sustainable Blue Planet for future generations to enjoy a cleaner, safer and healthier world. Why Work with Us Our Company cannot thrive without great people devoted to serving customers, the community and the planet. We hire the best people to make Republic a great place to work. We are focused on attracting talented individuals across professions who are as committed to serving customers and the planet as we are. We strive to create a workplace that's meaningful and rewarding to our 33,000 employees. That's why we are proud to be recognized as Best Large Employer by Forbes, World’s Most Ethical Companies by Ethisphere, and Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s 2018 Corporate Equality Index.
Within a business unit, the Operations Manager - Collections/Hauling is responsible for managing the collections activities for commercial and residential customers, as well as container delivery and pick up, in a geographically dispersed area. The position manages a team of Operations Supervisors, Route Supervisors, Dispatchers, Operations Clerks, Drivers and Helpers who are responsible for the route system for commercial, roll-off and residential customers throughout the business unit. The Operations Manager works with his or her General Manager and other managers in the business unit to execute a local market strategy that complements the Area’s overall strategic operating and marketing plans and implements tactical initiatives to drive functional excellence and budget achievement. The Operations Manager oversees all matters related to collections operations and oversees effective safety and accident prevention programs and leads all operations to ensure compliance with standards; and drives change management initiatives to introduce and sustain new processes that contribute to the growth and durability of the operations of the business unit.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Demonstrated business acumen, strategic thinking and an ability to execute against formulated strategy.
• Demonstrated ability to lead change initiatives.
• Able to direct large staff.
• Is process-oriented and results-oriented in setting and pursuing aggressive goals, demonstrating a strong commitment to organizational success and marshaling resources to accomplish goals and objectives.
• Demonstrated problem-solving, analytical, critical-thinking and decision-making skills.
• Demonstrated ability to optimize near-term results that contribute to long-term sustainable success.
• Is collaborative; builds and works with teams.
• Creative thinker who challenges conventional solutions.
• Demonstrates and promotes ethical behavior.
• Has strong leadership skills and proven judgment of talent, with an emphasis on hiring and developing high performance teams.
• Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Sciences, Engineering or Business.
• Previous employment by a Fortune 500 company.
• Demonstrated ability to manage multiple sites.
• Experience in labor relations.
• Previous experience in understanding and management of P&L line items.
• Previous experience working at a site regulated by OSHA.
• Provide leadership for the collections operations of a business unit by providing management oversight to operations supervisors, route supervisors, dispatchers, operations clerks, drivers and helpers, who are responsible for the route system for commercial, roll-off and residential customers, including prompt and courteous waste removal service and customer service.
• Manage staff, including hiring, training, coaching, performance management; develop supervisory goals and objectives; and effective resolution of safety issues and claims.
• Implement and execute plans to complement the business unit’s strategic and operating plan; champion the execution of tactical initiatives within the Business Unit to maximize the customer experience, growth and durability, while optimizing profitability.
• Drive functional plans within the operations group to execute against the business plan to achieve or exceed the Business Unit’s budget and strategic plan to grow the business, achieve customer experience goals, and meet or exceed service business objectives.
• Lead all matters related to collections operations to ensure overall operations meet safety, compliance and P & L objectives.
• Ensure maximum productivity and route management systems for commercial, roll-off and residential routes and establish productivity goals where needed; ensure adherence to operating standards; and manage labor hours and disposal expenses.
• Interact with customers and local, state and federal government employees to resolve customer service concerns; ensure regulatory compliance standards are met.
• Oversee effective safety and accident prevention programs to ensure all reasonable action are taken to prevent accidents and injuries; ensure a safe and productive work environment for all employees; implement and maintain and effective loss control and safety program.
• Lead operations to ensure compliance with all standards including environmental, operating, regulatory, safety, accounting and ethics.
• Approve expenses and manage budget for the operations department including approval of purchase orders and vendor pricing.
• Develop a best-in-class team and workplace culture and effectively manage performance and talent development; drive best-practice sharing.
• Build and maintain strong and effective relations with relevant government, community and environmental groups. The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees, and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required by personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the Company.
• High School Diploma or GED.
• Minimum of 2 years of supervisory or management experience or participation in Republic Services’ management trainee program.
Rewarding Compensation and Benefits
Eligible employees can elect to participate in:
• Comprehensive medical benefits coverage, dental plans and vision coverage.
• Health care and dependent care spending accounts.
• Short- and long-term disability.
• Life insurance and accidental death & dismemberment insurance.
• Employee and Family Assistance Program (EAP).
• Employee discount programs.
• 401(k) plan with a generous company match.
• Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP).
Republic Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.