Republic Services Environmental Specialist in Brook, Indiana
Republic Services is an industry leader in U.S. recycling and non-hazardous solid waste. Through our subsidiaries, Republic’s collection companies, recycling centers, transfer stations, and landfills focus on providing effective solutions to make proper waste disposal effortless for our 14 million customers. We’ll handle it from here., our brand promise, lets customers know they can count on Republic to provide a superior experience while fostering a sustainable Blue Planet for future generations to enjoy a cleaner, safer and healthier world. Why Work with Us Our Company cannot thrive without great people devoted to serving customers, the community and the planet. We hire the best people to make Republic a great place to work. We are focused on attracting talented individuals across professions who are as committed to serving customers and the planet as we are. We strive to create a workplace that's meaningful and rewarding to our 33,000 employees. That's why we are proud to be recognized as Best Large Employer by Forbes, World’s Most Ethical Companies by Ethisphere, and Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s 2018 Corporate Equality Index.
The Environmental Specialist supports the Environmental Manager in the collection and reporting of data and is responsible for the operation of environmental systems in a direct and/or supervisory role. The Environmental Specialist may supervise and interact with field staff on a variety of construction and technical issues across multiple divisions.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Thorough knowledge of environmental regulations relating to air, water, solid waste, and material recovery/recycling. • Good time management skills to ensure assigned responsibilities are completed in an efficient and safe manner. • Strong written and oral communication skills required. • Effective interpersonal communication across various levels of the organization and with external customers and vendors. • Strong analytical skills and a focus on adding value to the Company. • Ability to effectively manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines. • Ability to read, analyze, and interpret business documents, professional journals, technical procedures, and governmental regulations. • Ability to adhere to Company policies and rules set forth; promotoes the Company’s safety standards; works with a sense of honesty and trustworthiness.
• Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Geology, Biology or related science. • Certified Professional Engineer and/or Certified Professional Geologist designation obtained or in progress. • Minimum of 2 years of experience in landfill operations or environmental compliance in air, water, and land.
• Collects, reports, and tracks environmental monitoring at relevant locations. May be responsible for completing and maintaining facility operating records. Activities could include conducting storm water compliance inspections, sampling, reporting and training in accordance with the existing facility-specifics Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plans (SWPPP) and the general provision of the Industrial Storm Water General Permit (ISWGP). • Performs ongoing public relations and due diligence activities through communication with Division and Business Unit management as well as regulatory agency representatives. • In conjunction with the Environmental Manager, performs site audits, completes and analyzes monthly environmental reports and other status reports as well as assisting with completing or managing required environmental sampling and reporting. • Performs and oversees activities related to rolling out and completing necessary projects. • Conducts and supervises landfill monitoring, operation and maintenance of gas extraction or leachate management systems. • Oversees and works with outside vendors handling environmental systems and makes recommendations regarding vendor activities. • Ensures continued compliance by coordinating air and water monitoring, environmental data review and reporting and compliance task tracking. • Conducts and coordinates formal and informal environmental training for Environmental Technicians, Landfill Managers, and other employees. • May assist with project management duties associated with construction projects, including but not limited to, tracking construction progresss and compliance. • Performs other job-related duties as assigned. The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees, and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required by personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the Company.
• High School Diploma or GED.
Rewarding Compensation and Benefits
Eligible employees can elect to participate in:
• Comprehensive medical benefits coverage, dental plans and vision coverage.
• Health care and dependent care spending accounts.
• Short- and long-term disability.
• Life insurance and accidental death & dismemberment insurance.
• Employee and Family Assistance Program (EAP).
• Employee discount programs.
• 401(k) plan with a generous company match.
• Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP).
Republic Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.