Republic Services Division Accountant in Birmingham, Alabama
Republic Services is an industry leader in U.S. recycling and non-hazardous solid waste. Through our subsidiaries, Republic’s collection companies, recycling centers, transfer stations, and landfills focus on providing effective solutions to make proper waste disposal effortless for our 14 million customers. We’ll handle it from here., our brand promise, lets customers know they can count on Republic to provide a superior experience while fostering a sustainable Blue Planet for future generations to enjoy a cleaner, safer and healthier world. Why Work with Us Our Company cannot thrive without great people devoted to serving customers, the community and the planet. We hire the best people to make Republic a great place to work. We are focused on attracting talented individuals across professions who are as committed to serving customers and the planet as we are. We strive to create a workplace that's meaningful and rewarding to our 33,000 employees. That's why we are proud to be recognized as Best Large Employer by Forbes, World’s Most Ethical Companies by Ethisphere, and Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s 2018 Corporate Equality Index.
With general direction, utilizing an understanding of accounting principles, the Division Accountant performs accounting activities to record, analyze and monitor financial information. The Division Accountant prepares financial reports in a manner that ensures accuracy and compliance with company accounting policies. The Division Accountant may act as a resource for accounting and general administrative staff and is responsible for a broad array of accounting duties.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• A thorough knowledge and understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principals (GAAP).
• Have MS Excel skills at an intermediate level.
• Must be able to demonstrate initiative to thoughtfully and fully research and follow up on non-standard situations to ensure compliance with company policies and procedures.
• Effective and professional interpersonal communication across various levels of the organization and with external customers and vendors.
• Strong analytical skills.
• Ability to effectively manage multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
• Ability to complete projects and assignments with minimal supervision.
• Strong organizational skills and ability to work in high-volume, fast-paced environment.
• Ability to work effectively, cooperatively and efficiently within a team environment.
• Experience with general ledger software and other programs consistently used in industry.
• Experience with Lawson accounting software and other programs consistently used in industry.
• Accounting experience.
• MBA and/or CPA designation.
• Compiles and analyzes financial information to prepare journal entries and document business transactions. Prepares monthly and quarterly operational performance reports. In doing so, utilizes discretion and judgment as to matters of significance.
• Assists the Division Controller in ensuring there are proper internal controls in place including compliance with company policies and procedures, Sarbanes Oxley and all other statutory requirements. In doing so, utilizes discretion and judgment as to matters of significance.
• Reconciles balance sheet accounts and statistical data and fully analyses financial statements in accordance with GAAP and company policy.
• May assist the Division Controller in the management of accounting personnel. May provide direction to the different accounting functional areas (invoice processing, billing, cash receipts, work order processing, credit analysis, receivable collections, month-end close, journal entries, statistical data, and payroll).
• Supports the Division Controller during the annual budget and interim forecasting process and assists with analytical review.
• Supports the accounting aspects of capital expenditures, transfers and retirements.
• Assists with periodic financial audits including internal audits, external audits and peer reviews.
• Provides support and responds to information requests from corporate (accounting, tax, treasury, IT, HR, sales, environmental compliance, legal, etc.) as well as region and area field financial management as required.
• Performs other job-related duties as assigned or apparent. The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature of work performed by this position, and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the Company.
• A Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance or closely related field of study.
Rewarding Compensation and Benefits
Eligible employees can elect to participate in:
• Comprehensive medical benefits coverage, dental plans and vision coverage.
• Health care and dependent care spending accounts.
• Short- and long-term disability.
• Life insurance and accidental death & dismemberment insurance.
• Employee and Family Assistance Program (EAP).
• Employee discount programs.
• 401(k) plan with a generous company match.
• Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP).
Republic Services is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.